Skip links

Citrus pectin. The perfect choice

Pectin is one of the world’s most valuable and versatile natural dietary fiber, recognised by consumer as label friendly.
JRS Silvateam focuses on high value specialty pectins such as low methoxyl amidated (LMA) and conventional (LMC) pectin, high methoxyl (HM) pectin for viscosity and for protein protection in beverages. All our pectins are commercialised under the Aglupectin® brand name starting from fresh and dried citrus peels.
Leveraging our strong know-how we are able to design, test and optimise pectin based formulations to meet specific functional requirements, resulting in distinctive gelling, thickening, stabilising and suspending properties.
To ensure consistent performance in the final product, we carefully select appropriate raw materials, implement precise processing conditions and maintain rigorous standardisation procedures.

What it is made of

JRS Silvateam production facility is able to process both fresh local peels and dried peels primarily sourced from South America.
Approximately 70% of the annual peel requirement is divided between lime, originating from Mexico and Peru, and lemon coming mostly from Argentina. The remaining 30% accounts for bergamot and lemon that comes from Italy. The majority of the company’s suppliers process citrus on their own plantations with facilities that cover the entire processing of the fruit.
Demonstrating a deep commitment to fostering sustainable development and adding value to the agricultural supply chain in Calabria in southern Italy, JRS Silvateam has set up a plant for receiving and processing fresh local citrus peels.
Our particular emphasis is on bergamot, a citrus fruit native to this region, which is a uniqueness in the pectin industry.

How it works

Pectin exhibits its functional properties when it is correctly dissolved in water and stored in a cool, dry environment. In fact, pectin must be completely dissolved to ensure full effectiveness and to avoid heterogeneous gel formation.
Any lumps formed during the preparation of the solution lead to a loss of gel strength because pectin lumps are not active.
To produce a good pectin solution it is recommended to pre-blend the pectin with sugar in the minimum ratio of 1:3 and dissolve it hot water (85 – 90°C / 185 – 195°F), at a soluble solids content below 20% using a suitable high speed stirrer.

Key features

How it is made

Pectin production consists mainly in an extraction process, in acid conditions, through which the pectin is separated from the raw materials and turned into a soluble form. Spent peels and impurities are separated from the liquid phase via filtration and clarification. The pectic syrup is then precipitated, purified and filtered to isolate the pectin.
The pure pectin is dried, milled and sieved. Afterward, it undergoes a standardisation process where it is blended with sugar or salts to ensure consistent functionality, including gel strength, viscosity and protein protection, which may vary depending on the specific application.

Pectin development process

Want to know more about pectin?

Have a look
to our white paper.


Need help formulating your recipe?

Challenge our team!
We are here to support you.

Download white paper

Full Name *
Country *
Email *
Phone number
Company *
Job title *
Privacy *